Which Level of Government Can Help?

In Australia, we have three different levels of Government: Local, State and Federal. Each level of government is responsible for delivering specific services to our community.

NSW State Government

The following issues are the responsibility of State Government:

  • Community Health and Dental
  • Public Hospitals
  • Education
  • Land and Water Management
  • Industrial Relations
  • Primary Industries
  • Public Housing
  • Main Roads
  • Public Works
  • Emergency Services
  • National Parks
  • Transport
  • Attorney-General
  • Ageing and Disability
  • Community Services
  • Police
  • Fair Trading
  • Multiculturalism
  • Medical Research

If your problem falls into one of the above categories, I may be able to help by making representations to the relevant Minister.

Local Government

The following issues are the responsibility of Local Government / Local Council:

  • Local Roads and footpaths
  • Rubbish collection
  • Rates
  • Sporting fields and parks
  • Street lighting and signage
  • Residential and commercial development
  • Animal control
  • Water Utility
  • Pools
  • Community Halls

It’s best to contact your local Council directly if you have problems with these issues.

MidCoast Council


Federal Government

The following issues are the responsibility of the Federal Government:

  • Taxation
  • Aged Care
  • Trade
  • Foreign Affairs
  • Higher Education
  • Defence
  • Aviation and Shipping
  • Telecommunications
  • National Highways
  • Veterans’ Affairs
  • Medicare
  • Centrelink
  • Child Support

If your concerns relate to one of these issues, you should contact your local Federal Member. You can find out who your Federal Member is by visiting the Australian Electoral Commission’s website.

If you live in the State Electorate of Myall Lakes, Upper Hunter or Port Stephens, your Federal local member is likely to be the Hon. Dr. David Gillespie MP. He can be contacted on the details below:

The Hon. Dr. David Gillespie MP
Federal Member for Lyne